I must apologize for my tardiness in posting. Family matters have been chewing though my time like a brand new Chainsaw blade on my Stihl. Everyone is OK, but the drama from Easter is not the only thing demanding my time. I’ve recently taken in a roommate to help pay the bills, and the cleaning and preparing for him to move in has taken up a lot of time. I have quite a few things on my to-do list remaining, but the extra cash is going to help me a lot. Having someone working second shift means there is nearly always someone at the house, which is going to be nice when the poop hits the fan.
The good thing is he is totally clueless about prepping, and his only comment was that I own a lot of guns. I’m working on some better in-home obfuscation of my preps that I have stored here, but I got at least five small projects ahead of that in the queue.
I have the constant feeling of falling, or that is the best way to describe it. It is not my inner ear that feels this, but some yet-unknown organ in my brain. There are many events tying together that is raising the hairs on the back of my neck with impending danger. These events are not directly related, but I think are a indication in a change in our national consciousness. Here are some examples:
- A friends child is almost run over in their driveway because some girl is late for work, and is afraid she will be fired. She has a kid the same age and is taken to the hospital when pulled over for having a nervous breakdown.
- The Baltic Dry Index is dead, but the MSM doesn’t say a peep. To be fair there is a slight rebound, but the BDI is still 90% down.
- In my outer circle of friends there is a significant spike in separations and divorces. People are not putting up with each other anymore.
- The frequency of nitwits not holding the door open for others has gone up sharply.
- I now regularly see 5-6 “scrappers” a week. This goes up by about one new crew every two to three weeks. Even the rising price of gas is not stopping people from driving around and collecting scrap metal to make some cash.
- At another buddy’s house, a guy wearing a suit has started collecting cans and bottles in the morning on trash days, while driving a 5-series BMW.
- I see more and more people driving like idiots. Some teenage bubblegummer on a cellphone almost killed me at Dunk’s this morning.
There are many of these tidbits that are sticking out in my mind, but there is no need to go through them all. I’m thinking that more and more people are feeling the financial pinch as inflation is grinding through their disposable income. This is frustrating them, and they don’t have any outlet for their anger. If I’m pissed off, an hour of Dancing with the Stars just makes me angrier. YMMV.
Keep an eye out, and let me know if it’s just me, or if your prepper-sense is going batshit crazy as well.